If you’re looking into a new job or career path, you’re going to need to dust off your resume and spruce it up a bit before sending out applications. Now is a great time to make sure your resume actually reflects where you are in your life and your career, and can help you stand out from other applicants when applying for jobs or working with local staffing agencies in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Here are just a few tips to help you accomplish this:
- Relevant work experience: You don’t need to list every single job you’ve ever had. You’ll get to a point in your career where your high school and college jobs no longer apply. Instead, only list work experience that’s relevant to the job for which you are applying, and highlight only the most relevant skills and accomplishments that go along with those jobs. This means you’ll need to customize your resume for each specific job you’re applying for if you’re really going to make sure it’s relevant to the person reading it.
- Go for some certifications: There’s a wide range of online certifications available that allow you to take a couple classes and a test to get a certification you can use to show you’ve stayed up to date with certain trends in your industry. Share information about the certifications you hold on your resume, and be prepared to offer proof. If you know you’re going to be going on the job hunt, getting certified before you really get started can be a big resume booster.
- Show data: Include important data in the form of numbers to help quantify the value you can bring to a new potential employer. Add numbers and percentages whenever possible, and when you have particularly impressive results or accomplishments, expand and explain in an efficient yet thorough way. It’s not enough to just say something you did boosted efficiency—instead, you should say how much it boosted efficiency.
- Focus on the top: The top of the document should be the most eye-catching section. The top half can include a summary or sharp headline, your descriptions should all be straight and to the point and you should make sure all your most relevant experience comes first.
- Use proper formatting: Make sure your resume is formatted correctly. If it appears to be messy or hastily thrown together, it will barely get a glance before it gets tossed aside. High-quality formatting, good grammar and organized sections will make your resume much more attractive and appealing.
- Keep it short: Your resume should fit on a single page. Again, you can accomplish this by only focusing on relevant information. While you might have a lot of accomplishments to boast about, not all of them will be important for the job to which you are applying. Keeping your language precise will help—eliminate words like “very” or “a lot,” and avoid flowery descriptions. Just the facts, please.
For more information about some of the ways you can draft a resume that will stand out to employers and local staffing agencies in Fort Lauderdale, FL, contact the team at Key Technical Resources, Inc. today.
Categorised in: Career Advice