Do I need a cover letter? You should definitely consider adding a cover letter to every job application you submit, and there are several reasons for this.
Many jobs actually require the submission of a cover letter alongside your application. But that is not the only reason. Continue reading to find out more about why you should include a cover letter.
Reasons to Include a Cover Letter
Are cover letters necessary? The truth is, cover letters actually demonstrate that you put in additional effort to stand out among other candidates that are applying for the same position as you. This shows the hiring manager or recruiter you really want this job and you are willing to take whatever steps are needed to get it.
Cover letters allow you to stand out. What if you and another candidate submitted an application for the same job and have the same exact background and qualifications? The difference is that one has a cover letter and one doesn’t. This means that the recruiter is likelier to contact the candidate with the cover letter.
When Should I Include a Cover Letter?
You should always have a cover letter ready to submit with any job you apply for.
But here are some instances when you should really make it mandatory to include a cover letter:
- You have additional information you feel would be important. Maybe you have a big gap in employment on your resume, and you feel you should explain that. This gives you the chance to explain everything you need to.
- You feel as if there is a personal connection. Maybe you were referred to this job by a friend or someone you know who already works for the company.
- You have a relation to the company. Maybe you weren’t referred, but you completed an internship recently at the company. Or maybe the hiring manager knows you. Whatever the situation is, it is helpful to let it be known right away. A good way to do this is by adding this information to your cover letter.
- This is your dream career. This isn’t a love letter, but it is a cover letter. You can use this time to let the hiring manager know how much having this career would mean to you professionally.
Tips to Remember
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when creating and submitting a cover letter to a job posting:
- Avoid a lengthy cover letter. Keep your cover letter to a good length. Cover letters should be no more than 400 words, but they should also be at least 250 words long.
- Follow the guidelines for submitting your cover letter. If there are any specific requirements such as margins and fonts, be sure to follow them before you submit your cover letter.
- Proofread. Don’t forget to proofread your cover letter once you have completed writing it. This ensures you have no spelling or grammar mistakes. Grammarly is a good way to check for spelling mistakes.
Categorised in: Resume